Ocracoke Express Passenger Ferry
Travelers between Hatteras and Ocracoke Village now have a new choice to reach their destination – an addition to the vehicle ferries that already serve the popular route.
The ferry whisks as many as 149 passengers per trip across the Pamlico Sound directly into Ocracoke Village at Silver Lake and in walking distance of all the village has to offer – from dining to shopping to strolls along the waterfront.
NCDOT’s vehicle ferries take people from Hatteras to the other end of Ocracoke Island, and passengers then drive from the terminal to the village 12 miles away.
Passenger ferry service aboard the Ocracoke Express now runs seven days a week from May 20 through Sept. 5.
- Departs from Hatteras ferry terminal at 9:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Departures from Ocracoke Silver Lake Terminal are scheduled for 11 a.m., 3 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Crossing time is approximately 70 minutes at 28 knots.
- Boat capacity is 149 with 25 spots for bikes.
Introductory rates of $2 round-trip are in effect through June 30, 2019. Starting July 1, regular fares of $4 for a round trip will take effect. Children 3 and under ride free.
Where to Leave Your Car
- There are 142 parking spaces and 5 overnight spaces available at the Hatteras ferry terminal. Parking is first-come, first-serve. 5 spaces are reserved for overnight parking.
- Racks are available for passengers wanting to bring their bicycles to Ocracoke. There is no extra charge for bicycles.
- Small carry-on items, backpacks and purses are allowed. Strollers and walkers are also allowed.
- Pets are allowed too! Dogs need to be on a leash.
Although not required, reservations are recommended. To make a reservation, call 1-800-BY-FERRY or book online at ferry.ncdot.gov. To take the Ocracoke Express without a reservation, check in no later than 20 minutes before departure time. (Space is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.)
Getting Around Ocracoke
The Silver Lake Ferry Terminal is within easy walking distance of most of Ocracoke’s shops and restaurants. Hyde County also provides free tram service around the Village, and bikes and golf carts are available for rental near the ferry terminal.
The tram has 8 stops and goes in a 30-minute loop around the island from 10:30 a.m. – 8 p.m.
View the full Ocracoke Walking Map for all tram stop locations.
When do I check in?
All passengers must check in no later than 20 minutes before departure time.
Will there still be car ferries?
Yes. Passenger ferry service is a supplement to and not a replacement for regular vehicle ferries.