Keeping you and your family safe while you’re here on Ocracoke Island.
The NC Department of Health and Human Services is asking people to remember these three things as we stay strong and continue to flatten the curve and slow the spread of COVID-19.
If you leave home, practice your Ws: Wear, Wait, Wash
Wear a cloth covering over your nose and mouth. Wait 6 feet apart. Avoid close contact. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer. These actions can protect our families and neighbors as the state works to ease restrictions while the virus is still circulating.
- Social distancing guidelines are still in place. Please observe six feet of space around you at all times.
- Gatherings indoors are limited to 25 people or less and 50 people outdoors.
- Restaurants are offering in person dining as well as takeout or delivery.
- Other businesses, including grocery stores, have limits on the number of people allowed in the store at any given time based on square footage. Those limits will be posted on the storefront, and may be mentioned on proprietors’ websites or their social media.
- Personal care and grooming businesses, as well as entertainment businesses without retail or dining, remain closed in accordance with Phase 2.5 of the NC Sate regulations.
Current restrictions and cancellations:
- Due to COVID-19 concerns, the North Carolina Ferry System has adopted an alternate schedule for all routes. The current schedule can be found here.
Where to turn for additional information.
If you’ve been to Ocracoke, you already know you’re part of an extended family––one that watches out for one another. For regularly updated information on COVID-19 in Hyde County, please visit the Public Health page at the Hyde County Health Department website or follow their social media outlets. You can also find reliable information on COVID-19 at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website and the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services website.
Want to help those who’ve helped you have a fun vacation?
If you’d like to help, and get yourself or someone special a gift, gift certificate, or something similar, you can do that here. Your gifts could go a long way toward making sure your favorite places are still here when you return!
Curious about something specific we haven’t mentioned?
Please check back with us, as we plan to keep this page updated with the latest news. In the meantime, it’s the time for safety, social distancing, and yes, lots and lots of hand-washing.
-Your friends on Ocracoke Island